Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A SECRET AFFAIR - Review



Typhoon Ofel had kept me home to the height of boredom, thus, I decided to watch a movie. I had seen Taken 2 and was torn between Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles and A Secret Affair. I remember great reviews on both films but because of Anne Curtis, I engaged with Secret Affair in 2D. I had seen No Other Woman and The Mistress and I was beginning to have “umay” factor on such theme but as some reviews mentioned – it’s an exciting offering from Viva films directed by Nuel Naval with a complete different plot, twist and turn as compared to No Other Woman.


LSF and audience count was at normal scale. After two hours watching A Secret Affair, hear I am translating mental notes of what I like and dislike about the film. On positive note: (1) I like Anne Curtis as she can be protagonist or antagonist and she delivers it effectively; (2) Rafi (Anne), Sam (Andi) and Anton (Derek) registers beautifully on screen; (3) Dresses are to die for which added sophistication; (4) Jacklyn Jose was believable and fun to watch; (5) sound track was appropriate and memorable; and (6) I enjoyed the facebook and twitter profile pictures moving as they deliver status updates and posing back idea. 


On negative note: (1) I have nothing against using English language in Filipino films specially if the role calls for it, but I was almost convinced it was a foreign film as 90% of script was written in English that at some point affected audience impact; (2) At many times, I could not decipher what Andi was saying as she either eats her word or speaks way too fast in particular to confrontation scene between Sam (Andi) and Rafi (Anne); (3) There is awkwardness seeing Andi with Derek doing love scenes, I believe it’s Andi’s first daring role and it shows; (4) Derek’s expression was on constant level whether proposing to Rafi, being harassed by Sam, winning Rafi back he looks sad and tired all through out the film; (5) I tried not to, but I find it as carbon copy of No Other Woman with the elements of bitchiness, injection of humor from mother of a grieving daughter, over acting socialite friends, rich spoiled brat getting whatever she desires, confrontation scenes and of Derek and Anne together again.

Watching A Secret Affair is was better than staying at home doing nothing with typhoon Ofel on rage; until the next mistress themed movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment