Saturday, October 27, 2012

BORACAY: Beauty and Madness


Boracay is every traveler’s “it” destination, people flock be it summer or any year round for various reasons: from the obvious offering of 7  km stretch of fine white sand, pristine blue water, sun that guarantees perfect tan and breed of sexy people; this tiny island caters satisfyingly good food, great parties, ultimate relaxation and experiences best kept untold.






It was my first trip to Boracay, boarding Cebu Pacific to Caticlan with 1 hour flight that was occupied with mind fine tuning of itineraries for my 3 day stay. It was a wonderful September morning, sun perfectly warm, flight was smooth and an acquaintance had just confirmed my free accommodation. Visitors are to register upon arrival and to pay 75.00 php for environmental and admission fee, a hand book guide will be given (free of charge) and will be assisted to ferry boats that leads to Boracay Island; then tricycle to station you’re staying – in my case was at station two, a residential / transient place.


As soon I had checked in, I wasted no time and scouted area for my perfect lunch, spa for a whole body massage, souvenir shops and a place to be drunk and be marry. Strolling, I decided to remove my flip flops and allowed my toes sink in and feel the warmth of Boracay’s fine white sand. From station 1 to station 3 locals will approach you offering various water sports and/or activities, such as Helmet diving, which basically involves fitting the head with a heavy headpiece (which felt like a boulder of rock on the boat but almost became light as a feather underwater) that connected to a rubber air tube. You can get your pictures taken below and have them saved on a cd or printed out once you reach the shore (priced at 400 php / person). There is also Parasailing (parachute sailing) in Boracay – the best way to view the entire island, at least for a good 30 minutes; parasailing is not for the faint-hearted and should be done several hours after your last meal.



Prior to lunch, I spotted a stall that offers henna tattoo and decided to have an Alibata on my arms for a price of 100 php (the cheapest I had canvassed). Food will never be a problem regardless of your budget, there is D’Talipapa that you can do Dampa-style dining: buy seafood and let any of the nearby restaurants do the cooking for you; and D’Mall where fast food urban-dwellers are used to dine-in are everywhere in this area offering affordable yet satisfying meals. I had pizza and pasta that late lunch and had a cup of gelato for 100php doubled as my dessert and cooling agent as I continued my stroll to station 3 to sand sculptures for my picture be taken,  but unfortunately found nothing as local government prohibited such activity for soil contour preservation. By afternoon, I was deeply asleep in preparation for my first night at Island.  





By night, it was complete transformation fire dancers adding carnival effect; buy 1 take 1 cocktail drinks, music that keeps one soul free and alive; and happy people that influences ones mood to party like there is no tomorrow. I bar hop from here to there and rumbled alcohol like a professional chemist; rest room is a major problem for some establishment rely on public CR with long cue of people about to pee.


The following morning was of complete scenario, howling sound of wind and heavy rain had awakened me from my beautiful nightmare. At Starbucks with my venti white chocolate mocha, I stared blank at gloomy sky, bended coconut trees and waves in great rage caused by typhoon Pedring. People seemed unmindful, though water activities were cancelled for safety reasons, its business as usual. I took the time to have a full body massage along the beach, had grilled chicken for lunch, bought some souvenirs and braved myself to swim on raging waves with the Koreans. The night was not of different scenario, in rain coats people intoxicated to fuel oneself for much needed heat in combat to typhoon Pedring. I had settled myself for 2 bottles of San Mig Light, a glass of rum-cola and margarita and ended the night in prayer for a better weather.


 The following morning was worst as I received phone call from Cebu Pacific that my flight was cancelled and had it rescheduled the following day in the afternoon. I was just thankful that my accommodation was free and I still have spare cash to survive a day at Boracay. Continuous rain and strong wind confined me inside my place watching anything in cable channels when I realized that I should be thankful to have a day to experience the real beauty and wonders of Boracay and that typhoon Pedring allowed me to see the other side of Boracay that is a complete madness for the environment:


1. Drainage system goes directly to sea water, this waste water from establishment emits foul odor and possible with microbial contamination


2.  Pet owners, allow their dogs to poop anywhere even on sand along shores. No local authority to monitor and control such prohibited acts.


3. Garbage bins are aesthetically remarkable, but does not serve its purpose effectively.


4.  Establishments permitted to be constructed within limits from shoreline

5.  Flooding evident at D’Talipapa



6.  Inefficient solid waste management program



7.   Margaritas tasted like of calamansi juice (expressing bitterness :D)




8.   Condoms are overly priced (dispose properly :D)



Note: Boracay Reclamation Project - This refers to the 1-Billion php reclamation project proposed by the Aklan provincial government. The 10-year project will comprise of reclamation and development projects in Caticlan and in Barangay Manoc-Manoc in Boracay. The Boracay Foundation Inc. is apprehensive that the 3.2 hectares reclamation along the coastline of Boracay may push through and the foundation is asking to consider the long term impact of project on the world famous island.

BFI cited that there will be sand erosion and Boracay will no longer have its white-sand beach to offer to tourist. Furthermore, studies by the University of the Philippines - Marine Science Institute and Marine Environment and Resources Foundation Inc. which both point out that reclamation may further erode sand along island's shoreline if contour of the island is destroyed (Philippine Star, June 29, 2011).

   

2 comments:

  1. Boracay beach still needs improvement, the good thing is the government is keep on working hard to make this top destination island better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Boracay does not need improvement but to preserve its natural beauty coupled strict environmental law implementation of LGU :D

    ReplyDelete