Thursday, March 1, 2012

An Uninvited Guest

         In hunt of my transcript of record, I chance upon in hay stacked of files this newspaper dated October 29, 2004. Remembering seven years ago I had this story submitted to Inquirer and was published in their features story in time for Halloween. After reading said article I had this strange feeling as if someone wanted to be remembered. And so …..


            I’m Mikee, 23 years old. I would never forget the night of March 30, 1997, during a graduation retreat of our batch in Silang Cavite. After listening to several guest speakers, we planned to go out in the dark to hunt for ghost, but we caught by priests. We ended up talking about green jokes, relationship, embarrassing stories and future plans.

            During discussion about college, our talk shifted t our classmate Moses. He was a popular, funny and independent person. It was sad because he drowned March 30, 1996 during a family outing. We realized it would be his first death anniversary the following day.

            Then I felt cold despite it being summer. I knew everybody felt the same although nobody reacted, so we decided to end our conversation and slept. I climbed to my assigned place on the bunk bed but couldn’t sleep. My eyes were closed but I sensed that somebody was in the room. I opened my eyes and saw a boy our age by the door. He looked at me like he was surprised at being seen. I panicked and closed my eyes.

            I let minute pass, opened my eyes and saw Moses floating flat on the ceiling, staring at me, our noses almost touching. I shut my eyes again and uttered the Hail Mary repeatedly and heard him imitating me in a mocking tone.

            The following morning I kept silent, thinking people would not believe me. Until now I wonder why Moses had to scare me since we weren’t close friends or enemies. But I pray he would rest peacefully with our creator.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment