Friday, April 19, 2013

BACOOR, CAVITE - LOST ENVIRONMENT


“Every part of the Earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every clear and humming insect is holy in the memory and experience of my people. The sap which courses through the tress carries the memories of the red man.” – Excerpt from Chief Seattle’s 1854 speech on the environment. 157 years ago, the “Great White Chief” had expressed through poetic writing his desire for a promised “reservation”, the speech had described how sacred his environment as to consider every matter on vast land as family. A better way to define environment – A special place sacred and we are concerned to protect.

                Summer of 1994 over dinner, my father announced that we are moving out from our rented house at Sta. Ana, Manila to Bacoor, Cavite for the reason that they wanted a better environment for us, a healthy neighborhood and away from bad influences. I was torn but left no choice but to abide with my parents. 17 years ago, I remembered coastal road was a long stretch of water with mangroves and it was bewilderment for my sight of what my new environment would be? Boredom crawled up to my spine seeing stalls of “tahong” and “talaba” along road and Tropical Hut was the only establishment on rise. In deed my parents ought to provide me a better environment like in fairly tales…. In a far far away land lives Prince Michael. I explored this new environment and discovered that we have neighbors with kids that later became my friends and confidants, I had learned my gift of green thumb as I able to grow fruit bearing trees and even orchids, learned to ride a bike and flew kites. The haunting sound of geckos at night had been my lullaby, while, the rooster and chirping birds was my alarm clock. Dancing in the rain minus the flood was best and star gazing on roof puts me to rest. It only took end of summer to realize that I belong to this environment and fell in love with it.

                2011 and my environment was the mirror image of what my father had escaped off. In short span of time, Sorrento in Bacoor had extended from phase 1 to phase 5 due to high demand on housing. The population continuously grows by numbers according to our homeowners association’s census causing anonymity among neighbors. In 2009, Sorrento was headline with report on blasting of a house with dynamite used for illegal fishing that left 2 people dead and 5 families homeless, nobody new that the said house was used as warehouse for dynamites. Shanties had ballooned over fence with several crimes relating to them, with such alarm several homeowners decided to build walls for added security, thus, resulting to cutting down trees and concreting gardens. The volume of people doubled the volume of garbage being generated, though, collecting is done on a regular basis the frequency was not enough to refrain some homeowners to used the creek as dumpsite. Flooding was inevitable even with monsoon rain and worst with typhoon. My friend Randy refrained his usual morning walk for the air is no longer beneficial but causes him asthma attacks; I wonder if my niece would be able to experience to dance in the rain without fear of acquiring Leptospirosis. Suddenly I missed the enigmatic rhythm of geckos at night for the banging sounds of bars and malls dominate with decibels detrimental to my ear drums. 







                Development, commercialization and income generations are some parameters to define a progressive nation, province or city even this meant conversion of mangrove area to condominiums and amusement themed park. I had witnessed transformation of my environment; admittedly, I was thrilled to see what had been built and established for the convenience of its inhabitants. The present situation and effects tagged along had become burden; there was lapse in formulating control measures and implement preventive measures. However, if the Great Chief had used his pen in addressing preservation of his environment, I was given the opportunity to be educated which is an essential tool in spreading awareness and forefront credibility for people to listen on serious matters. I’m a negligible part of my community but step by step I can contribute by actively participating in homeowners meeting, voicing out opinions and giving relevant suggestions on matters that is greatly concerned; to initiate programs encouraging the youth to take part of protecting the environment we have and aim to be recognized and influence other subdivision and barangays of our best practices. With the rapid pace of time, sometime we just need to take a break and go back to basic such as imposing self disciple could make a great difference.

            Where is the thicket? Gone. Where is the Eagle? Gone. 1854 the Chief had foreseen. Where is my Environment? On my hands…. For my future generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment